The New York Junior League is an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
We believe that all women, children, and families should have equal opportunity, the resources to unlock their potential, and the structures to support them.
The NYJL assists women, children, and families in need by supporting the organizations that serve them through hands-on programming and capacity building.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We welcome all women who value our mission. We are committed to inclusive environments of diverse individuals, organizations, and communities.
The NYJL is looking for Manhattan-based organizations that would like to work with a team of trained volunteers. NYJL volunteers may fulfill an organization's current need to staff a program, or the NYJL can co-create programs with community partners that directly respond to community needs.
Volunteers are available for ongoing, sustained partnerships that meet at regular intervals (e.g., weekly, bi-weekly), or they can support “one-off,” on-demand opportunities.
Please note: NYJL volunteers cannot participate in fundraising-related activities for other organizations.
The NYJL currently focuses programming on five focus areas:
- Adult Education & Mentoring. Adult Education and Mentoring programs focus on providing adults with life skills training to become healthy, productive citizens of New York City. Volunteers advocate for adults in need and provide training, counseling, and companionship.
- Child Health & Welfare. Child Health and Welfare programs teach young people that challenging life circumstances provide opportunities to learn, grow, and persevere. Volunteers serve as mentors to establish a life-long support system that leads to continued success for at-risk youth. Volunteers use a positive approach and harness individual strengths to foster responsibility, self-esteem, and agency.
- Children’s Education. Children’s Education programs strive to empower children as well as their parents and caregivers with the tools to help them build a positive future. Volunteers provide education support in a variety of disciplines including math, science, art, financial literacy, reading, and writing.
- City Impact. City Impact programs undertake service projects to increase the impact of organizations on New York City. Volunteers build capacity by lending ad hoc volunteers for immediate and short-term assistance. Volunteers also renovate indoor facilities and outdoor parks as safe and beautiful spaces for surrounding communities.
- Culture & the Arts. Culture and the Arts programs bring arts education and appreciation to underserved New York City children and teenagers to encourage self-expression while building confidence and self-esteem. Volunteers provide exposure to art and music through robust visual and performing arts curricula and supplemental trips to see live performances and shows.
Please note: This application serves as an expression of interest to work with NYJL's trained volunteers to co-create a new program or to staff an ongoing one. Therefore, this application requests committed support from trained volunteers, and is NOT a grant application.